Day 337 | Friday, 19 February 2021
From the Church Mouse
Lately, as I was doing my part to be a good citizen, I watched the events of the impeachment trial. As I watched the vote count, I couldn’t help but think of a quote by Winston Churchill before the start of the Second World War: “He who feeds the crocodile can’t help but hope that he is eaten last.” That’s all I’ll say about that.
I did feel the need to laugh and poke fun for a while. To that end, I would like to share with you a greeting card I found at Runnings. The card is put out by Leanin” Tree which is made in the USA and has been an American tradition since 1949. The card is made from recycled paper by Earth Friendly Cards.
The original art is by Mike Scovel. Since his first card debuted with Leanin’ Tree in 1978, Mike Scovel’s artful depiction of everyday life has been a part of American tradition through millions of cards and other gift products. From bowlegged crusty cowboys to feisty, flirty women to cliff-hanging horses, Scovel’s easily distinguished style of “fine art cartooning” has established his role as an anchor in contemporary western humor.
While his humorous paintings can be found in many private and public collections, Scovel’s serious side is portrayed in his award-winning sculpture. Working in a variety of mediums, Scovel has created several monumental sculpture pieces for cities, private foundations and major corporations.
“Knowing that my artwork brings emotion from people, whether they’re weeping at a Veteran’s Memorial or laughing at a crusty old codger…it’s knowing the art makes them feel something that matters,” Scovel says. “Seeing people react to my work…that’s the real paycheck.”
Now check out his card:
Top 10 Advantages to Getting Older
10. Your clothes have come back into style…twice.
9. You can no longer be cut down in your prime.
8. There is nothing left to learn the hard way.
7. Plenty of time to catch up on your reading…in the bathroom.
6. In any hostage situation, you’ll probably be released first.
5. You repeat yourself without knowing it.
4. You’re allowed to take a nap to get ready for bed.
3. You repeat yourself without knowing it.
2. You’ve made a lot of good memories even if you can’t remember them.
And the number one advantage to getting older…It beats the only alternative!